2012年5月8日星期二

Music That Matters Vol 35 is available now… Mew, Delays, Clearlake, Art Brut, Jim Noir and many mor

This latest edition of Music That Matters brings you music from Denmark, Manchester, London, Oxford, Southampton, Brighton, (as in England not Massachusetts), Alabama (yeah that Alabama), Missouri and all the way back to KEXP’s hometown, Seattle.

Listen to exclusive tracks, a few remixes and brand-spanking new singles you’ve been craving. I also have a couple singles from my favorite albums of 2006 in case you missed them on your already spectacular music radar.

Music That Matters Vol. 35 – (MP3)

Mew’s 2003 breakthrough album Frengers was finally released in the U.S. January 23rd. The Danish band put out my favorite 2006 album, And the Glass Handed Kites. I admit I am a late bloomer to Mew and I’m sure making up for it by obsessing over all their albums, checking eBay for limited editions/re-releases and planning a trip to Denmark to interview their families, teachers and schoolmates. Maybe find unraveled cassette tapes with early recordings from lead singer Jonas’ childhood. Okay, I’m joking.

“Am I Wry? No” is the opening track off Frengers (Not Quite Friends But Not Quite Strangers). I just tell people it’s Danish for “acquaintance?” Little known fact: Their keyboardist Nick is a loyal KEXP listener who has probably listened to my overnight show from his London cubicle. How ironic is that?

Ulrich Schnauss dishes out a beautiful remix of Mark Gardener’s “The Story of the Eye.” Hint hint: I’d love to hear more remixes from the 2005 release These Beautiful Ghosts, preferably “To Get Me Through.” Mark, the former Ride frontman, is currently on tour in Europe but rests his gorgeous head in Oxford.

Mark Gardener with Goldrush:

Speaking of Mark, I saw him way back in 2005 at the KEXP Yule Benefit with Goldrush as his backup band. Sweet package deal! The new Goldrush album comes out in the UK on February 5th on Truck Records. We kids in the U.S. (except me) have to wait until April. Well worth the wait.

I am so excited to include tracks from a few of my all-time favorite bands: Delays and Clearlake (alongside my most recent fave Mew). All of them had insanely incredible albums in 2006.

I’ve featured “Valentine,” the first single off You See Colours by Delays. This Southampton band led by Greg Gilbert is currently working on their third release due out later this year.

Private gig at Water Rats in London (please excuse out-of-synch audio):

Clearlake, who reign from my second home in Brighton, have a new demo called “Summer’s Over” and are also working on their next album. Fingers crossed for U.S. tours from both of them. Come on already, I’m restless.

Best Buzz Bands of 2007:
The Blakes: It’s only days before major record labels play tug-a-war over this Seattle band. Their self-released album screams “We love the same British bands DJ Shannon does and we’ll trick her into thinking we’re Brits.” They’re clever fellas.

Also listen to catchy tracks from Sunny Day Sets Fire, The Bishops (who I’ll check out in Austin for SXSW), Pull Tiger Tail, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin and Wild Sweet Orange.

The Bishops video:

The Lo Fidelity Allstars remix of Aberdeen City’s “God is Going to Get Sick of Me” is my latest club hit fave — that is, if I went to dance clubs. It gets me bouncing in my car seat (not the child size one mind you) and singing at full throttle. Hold on and listen! LFA’s “Battleflag” was MY dance song but is slowly being replaced with this one.

Jim Noir is often referred to as the “Brian Wilson of Manchester.” His single, “Key of C” is a classic ‘60s pop single off his release Tower of Love. I highly recommend the album and his live show. I do I do I do.

Art Brut’s new single ‘Nag Nag Nag Nag’ will be on their second album due later this year. And a wicked Cavemen remix of Archie Bronson Outfit’s “Dead Funny” is out on Domino Records.

Read more about my year of music for 2006.

Please send major praise/minor criticisms or vice versa my way: shannon@kexp.org.

Related to the theme articles:

没有评论:

发表评论