2012年4月29日星期日

GFW 2010 Faux Fo' Sho

,cheap handbags

The faux seems to be cropping up a lot on the blog but I promise the word, with all its negative connotations isn't here for the wrong reasons.  Last time I wrote about faux fur, in regards to Chanel's A/W 10-11 collection as well as the Where The Wild Things Are skirt I bought, the question of whether wearing faux fur, despite all its good intentions, is still promoting to 'aesthetic' of real fur came up.  Well, I'm faced with a faux fur collection that seeks to exploit the material in such a way that any notion of 'road kill' doesn't really figure into the equation...

DroppedImage_3
(Pic above also shot by Brendan and Brendan and styled by Pandora Lennard - If you're wondering what the shoes are... I'm pretty sure the chunky boots on the left are by Natacha Marro and the wedges are by Gabriella Marina Gonzalez )

Sophie McKay, another of this year's Westminster grad centred her collection on an experiment with fun fur that quickly turned into an obsession of sculpting with the stuff... she says it best in her own words...

"My collection was inspired by Greek and Roman sculpture and the way that certain sculptures capture beautifully, the fluidity of fabric in a solid material such as stone or brass. After a trip to shepherds bush I impulsively bought some fun fur (the very very fake type!) and shaved into it to create shadows, replicating the lines of draped, flowing fabric. I became really interested in the way that I could create a desirable textile out of a fabric that isn't generally considered luxurious. Further experimentation led me to use sheepskin where I had a very deep pile to play with, which created dramatic shadows when cut. I also suspended pieces of faux fur and goatskin on chiffon, giving the fur a unexpectedly fluid movement which worked really well on the runway."

"I worked with amazing quality faux furs, sheep and goat skins for the collection. So the decision to use fur was an impulsive one initially and further choices of furs were because they worked well with the technique that I developed!"

Already the visceral 'look' of fur is reduced with the colours used as well as this 'shaving' technique which McKay has developed.   To add tufts of it onto chiffon create a movement and fluidity which you wouldn't expect with a fur.  Beyond the faux fur aesthetic quibbles,wholesale coach handbags, McKay has done something unexpected with a material that would at first glance seem limited in its scope.  Different effects are created where the shaving can either make the different layers look very rigid and solid (like the pinkish fuschia top half below...) or it can look like it's cascading in a more free form way.  I particularly like it in this image below where the layers look very pronounced and prominent,wholesale coach handbags, exactly like the sculptures, which I too have been fascinated with their seemingly 'fake' stone folds and draping...

Sophiemckay1

WSTM_2010_BA_1273 WSTM_2010_BA_1292

Sophiemckay5

SOPHIEMCKAY99 Sophiemckay6

Sophiemckay4

WSTM_2010_BA_1296 WSTM_2010_BA_1318

Sophiemckay2

SOPHIEMCKAY55 SOPHIEMCKAY88

WSTM_2010_BA_1328 WSTM_2010_BA_1354

The chunkies used in the shoot are great but I love these fuzzy beauties too...

Sophiemckay3

(Backstage images by Magnus Arrevad)

没有评论:

发表评论